Porterhouse Steak with Tobacco Onions & Chipotle Sauce
Published 8th September, 2021
Cuisine: American Serves: 2
Preparation: 20 Mins Cooking: 20 Mins
- 2 Porterhouse Steaks
- Vegetable Oil, for Deep-frying
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- 3 Brown Onions
- 1 ½ Cups Plain Flour
- 2 tbls Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Ground Chilli
- 1 tbls Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- Fresh Thyme, to serve
- Olsson’s Smoked Sea Salt, to serve
- Grunds Smoked Chipotle BBQ Sauce, to serve
- To prepare the tobacco onions, peel the onions and cut into slices a half a centimetre wide or cut the onions in halves and slice into slices a half a centimetre wide, seperate the rings / slices. Place the slices in the buttermilk and leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine the plain flour, paprika, ground chilli, garlic powder, sea salt and ground black pepper, mix well to combine.
- Preheat a deep fryer to 180℃
- Drain the onions well in a colander, toss in the flour, shake off the excess and deep fry until a deep golden brown colour, season with the Olsson’s sea salt and garnish with fresh thyme leaves. Keep warm.
- Season the Porterhouse steaks with sea salt and black pepper
- Heat a heavy based grill pan over a high heat or a barbecue, cook the porterhouse steaks for 3-4 minutes on each side (for medium rare) Remove from the pan and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with the tobacco onions and Grunds smoked chipotle BBQ sauce.
- If buttermilk is unavailable, substitute with a cup of whole milk with 1 tablespoon of vinegar added.
- Allow the steaks to come to room temperature before cooking.