Italian Sausage, Leek & Thyme Hand Pies
Published 3rd July, 2020
Cuisine: Australian Serves: 4
Preparation: 30 Mins Cooking: 30 Mins
- 500 gm Barossa Fine Foods Mild Italian Sausages
- 1 tbls Olive Oil
- ½ Small Brown Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Leek
- 5 Sprigs of Thyme
- 50 gm Butter
- 1½ tbls Plain Flour
- 1 Cup Beef Stock
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Puff Pastry
- 1 Egg, beaten
- Fennel Seeds
- Remove the skins from the mild Italian sausages and break into small pieces. Heat a large frypan over a medium heat, add the olive oil, cook the pieces of sausage until they start to brown.
- Add the onions and garlic to the sausage meat, keep cooking until the onions and garlic are golden and well caramelised, add the leeks and thyme, cook for a further few minutes.
- While the leek is cooking add the butter, stir through until melted then add the plain flour. Stir well and allow the flour to cook for a couple of minutes. Add the beef stock & mix through, cook until the mixture has thickened.
- Allow to completely cool in the fridge before assembling the pies.
- Preheat oven to 180℃
- To make the pies, cut each piece of puff pastry in halves and then halves again, take one square and place approximately 3 tbls of the cold mixture in the centre of the square, lightly brush the edges with the beaten egg. Place a square of pastry on top, crimp the edges with a fork and cut a couple of small slits on top.
- Brush the pies with beaten egg and sprinkle with a few fennel seeds.
- Place on baking trays lined with baking paper. Cook in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown