Mild Italian Sausage in Tomato with Creamy Mashed Potato
Published 20th July, 2020
Cuisine: Italian Serves: 4
Preparation: 15 Mins Cooking: 40 Mins
- 500 gm Barossa Fine Foods Mild Italian Sausages
- 1 Brown Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbls Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Beef Stock
- 1 (400 gm) Can Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 Cup Passata Sauce
- 1 tsp Raw Sugar
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- 2 tbls Italian Parsley, finely chopped
- 600 gm white Potatoes
- 100 ml Rich Cream
- 50 gm Butter
- Fresh Parsley leaves, to serve
- Using a sharp knife cut the Italian sausages diagonally into pies about 2 centimetres thick.
- Heat a large, deep sided fry pan over a medium heat. Add the olive oil, cook the Italian sausage pieces until browned, add the onions and garlic, continue cooking until the onions and garlic are soft and fragrant.
- Add the beef stock, chopped tomatoes, pasta sauce and sugar, allow to simmer. Season with sea salt and black pepper. Cook for half an hour until the sauce is thick and rich, add the chopped parsley.
- While the sauce is cooking prepare the potatoes, peel and cut the potatoes into pieces, cover with cold water and season with sea salt. Bring to the boil and cook until the potatoes are very tender, drain well. Mash the potatoes with a masher, add the butter and cream and combine well, taste and season with sea salt.
- Serve with fresh parsley leaves and creamy mashed potatoes and steamed green vegetables.