Cuisine: Australian Serves: 4
Preparation: 30 Mins Cooking: 2 Hrs
- 1 kg Barossa Fine Foods Diced Lamb Shoulder
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 Anchovies (optional)
- 1 ½ Cups Red wine
- 2 Cups Chicken Stock
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 8 Sage Leaves, chopped
- Extra Sage Leaves for Garnish (fried in butter)
- Olive Oil
- Plain flour
- Sea salt & Black pepper
- Season the diced lamb with sea salt & black pepper then lightly dust with the plain flour.
- Shake off excess flour and cook the beef in small batches in a heavy based casserole dish until browned on all sides, set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for a further few minutes. Add the browned diced lamb back to the casserole dish along with any juices.
- Add the red wine, chicken stock and can of chopped tomatoes to the casserole dish, add the bay leaves, chopped sage & anchovies.
- Allow to come to the boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover with a lid, allow to cook on the stove top for two hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lid for the last half an hour of the cooking time to allow the sauce to thicken.
- Serve with pan fried gnocchi & fried sage leaves.