Crispy Picnic Chicken Drumsticks with Chipotle Mayonnaise
Published 19th April, 2021
Cuisine: Australian Serves: 4
Preparation: 30 Mins Cooking: 30 Mins
- 1kg Chicken Drumsticks
- 2 Cups Buttermilk
- 3 Egg Whites
- 2 Cups Plain Flour
- 2 tbls Corn Flour
- Vegetable Oil, for frying
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise
- 3 tbls Chipotle in Adobo Sauce
- 1 tbls Smoked Paprika
- 1 tbls Garlic Powder
- 1 tbls Onion Powder
- 1 tbls Mustard Powder
- 2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Celery Salt
- 2 tsp Oregano Leaves (dried)
- 2 tsp Thyme Leaves (dried)
- 2 tsp Basil Leaves (dried)
- 2 tsp White Pepper
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- In a large bowl place the buttermilk. Pat the chicken drumsticks dry with paper towel and place in the buttermilk, refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 140℃ and the Deep Fryer to 165℃ (If using a pot on the stove to heat the oil, use a candy thermometer to measure the oil temperature)
- Combine all of the ingredients for the spice mix in a small bowl and mix together well.
- In a large bowl combine the spice mix with the plain flour and corn flour, mix well. In a seperate bowl, place the egg whites and whisk slightly. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and drain well on a cake rack over a tray.
- One at a time dip the chicken pieces into the flour mix, shake of the excess, then dip into the egg whites and then back into the flour mix. Place on a large plate or tray lined with baking paper, do not allow the chicken pieces to touch each other. Once all the chicken is coated, refrigerate for 20 minutes, this allows a beautiful crust to form on the chicken.
- Working in small batches deep fry the chicken pieces in the oil at 165℃ for 12-14 minutes, place on a tray and pop into the oven while you cook the remaining chicken. The internal temperature of the chicken needs to be 75℃.
- To make the chipotle mayonnaise, whisk together the mayonnaise and chipotle in adobo sauce.
- Serve on a platter with the chipotle mayonnaise.
- If buttermilk is not available, use 1 tsp of vinegar or lemon juice.