American Style Brats
Published 8th July, 2021
Cuisine: American Serves: 4
Preparation: 15 Mins Cooking: 30 Mins
- 1 kg Fresh Beer Bratwurst
- 1 Large Brown Onion
- 1 tbls Olive Oil
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 6 Sprigs Thyme
- 5 Sage Leaves
- 1 (375 ml) Bottle of Dark Ale or Similar Beer
- 1 ½ Cups Beef Stock
- ½ tsp Cracked Black Pepper
- Peel and slice the onions & garlic, heat a large frypan or saucepan over a medium heat. Add the olive oil, once the olive oil is hot add the onion and garlic. Saute the onions and garlic until they are golden brown and starting to caramelise.
- Add the thyme sprigs and sage leaves, cook for one minute. Add the beef stock, pour in the beer, add the black pepper and allow to come to a simmer.
- Place the bratwurst into the simmering liquid, make sure they are completely covered by the liquid (add a little more beef stock if required)
- Gently poach the bratwurst for approximately 7 minutes until completely cooked (Internal temperature 75℃) Allow the bratwurst to cool in the stock.
- Remove the cooled sausages from the stock and pat dry.
- Heat a large fry pan over a medium heat or alternatively a barbecue grill plate, add a small amount of olive oil, fry the bratwurst until they are golden brown.
- Serve the bratwurst with mashed potato and caramelised onion jam