Milk Braised Chicken with Sage & Garlic
Published 22nd June, 2021
Cuisine: Australian Serves: 4
Preparation: 10 Mins Cooking: 2 Hrs
- 1 x 1.5-1.8kg Whole Chicken
- 2 tbls Olive Oil
- 8-10 Cloves Garlic
- 6 Sprigs Thyme
- ½ Bunch Sage
- ½ tsp Ground White Pepper
- 4 Strips Lemon Rind, see note
- 2 Cups Full Cream Milk
- 1 Cup Chicken Stock
- 2 tbls Dijon Mustard
- Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 190℃
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towel, truss the legs with kitchen string and lightly sprinkle with sea salt. Using a dutch oven or a heavy based fry pan over a medium heat, add the olive oil and brown the chicken on all sides until golden brown.
- While the chicken is browning, place the milk, chicken stock, Dijon mustard, white pepper and a pinch of sea salt in a large jug and whisk together.
- If using a Dutch oven, drain the oil from the pan or transfer the chicken to a casserole dish. Place the garlic cloves, thyme, sage and lemon rind around the chicken and then pour in the milk mixture.
- If using a Dutch oven, place the lid on. If you do not have a lidded container cover the chicken with a sheet of baking paper and then cover tightly with a sheet of foil. Place in the oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the lid or foil and baking paper. Continue to cook in the oven uncovered for 60 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Test using a meat thermometer, the internal temperature should be 75℃
- Serve the chicken with mashed potato and green beans. Serve the saucy broth left in the pan as a delicious sauce.
- Use a vegetable peeler to remove the rind from the lemon in strips.