Beef Goulash with Buttered Noodles
Published 19th June, 2020
Cuisine: Hungarian Serves: 4
Preparation: 30 Mins Cooking: 2 Hrs 30 Mins
- 1 kg Diced Beef Bolar
- 1 Brown Onion, diced
- 3 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- 2 tbls Olive Oil
- 2 tbls Plain Flour
- 2 tbls Hungarian or Sweet Paprika
- 200 gm Roasted Red Peppers
- 3 Cups Beef Stock
- 2 tbls Tomato Paste
- 1 (400 gm) Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 3 tbls Sour Cream, plus extra to serve
- Chopped Parsley, to serve
- Cooked Pappardelle Pasta, serve
- Heat a heavy based, heat proof casserole dish on the stove top. Season the diced beef with sea salt and black pepper, add the olive oil to the casserole dish and fry the meat in batches until it is browned well, set aside.
- Add the chopped onions and garlic to the pan and cook until soft & fragrant. Return the cooked beef to the dish along with any juices, stir in the plain flour and paprika and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, beef stock, tomato paste, roasted red peppers and bay leaves, allow to come to the boil then reduce heat to a simmer, place the lid on and simmer for 2 & half hours, stirring occasionally. Remove the lid of the casserole dish for the last half an hour of the cook.
- To serve, stir through the sour cream, serve in bowls with buttered pappardelle pasta and garnish with the extra sour cream and chopped parsley.
- This Goulash is also delicious served with spätzli, dumplings or rice.