Smoked Cherry Tomato Relish
Cuisine: Australian / Italian
Preparation: 20 Mins Cooking: 2 Hrs
- 2 tbls Olive Oil
- 2 Brown Onions, chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic, Finely chopped
- 2 ½ tbls Smoked Paprika
- 4 x 400gm (cans) Cherry Tomatoes
- ¼ Cup Brown Sugar
- ⅓ Cup Tomato Paste
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 tsp Cracked Black Pepper
- In a large heavy based saucepan over a medium heat sauté the onions and garlic in the olive oil until soft and fragrant, add the smoked paprika and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, water, brown sugar, tomato paste and black pepper, stir well to combine.
- Reduce heat to a very gentle simmer.
- Allow to simmer covered for 1 ½ hours with the lid on, storing occasionally.
- Remove the lid and continue to simmer for a further 20-30 minutes or until the relish is a thick consistency.
- Taste and season with sea salt.
- Store in pre-sterilised jars or keep in the fridge for one week.