Beef Rib Eye with Tempura Onion Rings & Shichimi Togarashi Salt
Published 19th August, 2021
Cuisine: Australian Serves: 2
Preparation: 30 Mins Cooking: 20 Mins
- 2 Barossa Fine Foods Rib Eye Steaks
- 1 Large Brown Onion
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Vegetable Oil, for deep-frying
- 2 tbls Shichimi Togarashi, see below
- ½ Cup Plain Flour
- ½ Cup Corn Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 Cup (Cold) Soda Water
- Sea Salt
- Extra Plain Flour, for dusting
- ½ Sheet Nori
- 1 tbls Dried Chilli Flakes
- 1 tbls Dried Orange Peel
- 2 tsp Black Sesame Seeds
- 2 tsp White Sesame Seeds
- 1 tsp Poppy Seeds
- 1 tsp Sichuan or Black Peppercorns
- 1 tsp Ginger Powder
- To make the Shichimi Togarashi salt, in a small skillet dry roast the sesame seeds and Sichuan peppercorns until fragrant, taking care not to burn them. Transfer to a plate and allow to cool completely. Place the nori, chilli flakes, orange peel, toasted sesame seeds, peppercorns and ground ginger into a spice grinder. Pulse until coarsely ground. Mix two tablespoons of the Shichimi Togarashi with one tablespoon of sea salt.
- In a large bowl, sift together the plain flour, cornflour and baking powder, add a pinch of sea salt. Whisk the egg yolk and cold soda water together. Add the egg mixture to the flour and gently whisk, taking care not to over mix, keep cold.
- Preheat a deep fryer or large saucepan half filled with vegetable oil to 180℃, use a candy thermometer to test the temperature.
- Remove the skins from the onions and cut into rings one centimetre thick. Dust with plain flour, shaking of any excess. Dip the onion rings into the batter, wipe on the side of the bowl to remove excess batter and lower gently into the deep fryer. Cook in batches until crisp and cooked through, keep warm.
- To prepare the rib eye steak, remove the steak from the packaging and pat dry with paper towel, place on a tray, cover with cling film and allow to come to room temperature.
- Preheat the barbecue grill plate. Season the meat well with sea salt and black pepper, drizzle well with vegetable oil. Place the steak on the grill bars and close the lid, cook for 5-6 minutes, turn and cook for a further 5-6 minutes. Turn the steak on its side and cook along the bone for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the barbecue, keep in a warm place and rest for 10 minutes before carving. Use a meat thermometer for the correct degree of doneness, medium rare is 54℃
- Serve with the onion rings and Shichimi Togarashi salt.
- Shichimi Togarashi will keep well in a sealed airtight container. Use as a seasoning for seafood, chicken, rice and noodles.
- Keep the tempura batter cold, place over a bowl of ice if needed. A cold batter will result in a crispier, lighter batter.