Beef Osso Bucco
Published 11th July, 2023
Preparation: 30 Mins Cooking: 4 Hrs
- 1.5 - 2 kg Beef Osso Bucco
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- ¼ Cup Plain Flour
- 2 tbls Olive Oil
- 50gm Butter
- 1 Large Brown Onion
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Carrots
- 2 Stalks Celery
- 1 Can (400gm) Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 Cup Rosé
- 2 Cups Beef Stock
- 6 Thyme Sprigs
- Preheat oven to 160℃
- Finely chop the onion, garlic, carrots and celery.
- Season the Osso Bucco with sea salt and pepper, dust with plain flour and shake off the excess.
- Heat a large heavy based fry pan over a medium heat, add the olive oil. In batches cook the pieces of osso bucco until well browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the butter to the pan and sauté the finely chopped the onion, garlic, carrots and celery until soft and starting to brown a little. Add the Rosé, tomatoes, thyme and beef stock and bring to a simmer.
- Place the browned beef osso bucco in a large casserole dish and pour the simmering liquid over the meat, cover with baking paper and then wrap with foil ensuring the casserole dish is well sealed. Place in the preheated oven for 4 hours. After the 4 hours, remove the foil and cook for a further 30 minutes, serve.
- This recipe may also be cooked in a slow cooker. Serve with mashed potato or soft polenta and caper gremolata.