Beef Burger With Hand Cured Bacon & Smoked Tomato Relish
Published 25th September, 2019
Cuisine: Australian Serves: 4
Preparation: 30 Mins Cooking: 10 Mins
- 4 Barossa Fine Foods Beef Burgers
- 4 Hamburger Buns
- 2 Zimmy's Pickles, sliced
- 200g Barossa Fine Foods Hand Cured Bacon
- 200g Mozzarella, sliced
- Salad Leaves
- Shoe String Fries, to serve
Smoked Cherry Tomato Relish
- 2 tbls Olive Oil
- 2 Brown Onions, chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic, Finely chopped
- 2 ½ tbls Smoked Paprika
- 4 x 400gm (cans) Cherry Tomatoes
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- ⅓ Cup Tomato Paste
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 tsp Cracked Black Pepper
- To make the relish, in a large heavy based saucepan over a medium heat sauté the onions and garlic in the olive oil until soft and fragrant, add the smoked paprika and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, water, brown sugar, tomato paste and black pepper, stir well to combine. Reduce heat to a very gentle simmer.
- Allow to simmer covered for 1 ½ hours with the lid on, storing occasionally. Remove the lid and continue to simmer for a further 20-30 minutes or until the relish is a thick consistency. Taste and season with sea salt.
- Heat a grill pan over medium heat or a BBQ plate & cook the burgers for 4-5 minutes on each side until cooked through, while they’re cooking add the bacon to the pan. Toast the buns.
- Place the sliced mozzarella cheese on the burger & melt under the griller, add the pickles, bacon & the smoked cherry tomato relish, serve with shoe string fries.
- Store the cherry tomato relish pre-sterilised jars or keep in the fridge for one week.