Smoked Ham Hock & Pea soup
Published 6th December, 2019
Cuisine: Australian Serves: 4
Preparation: 20 Mins Cooking: 2 Hrs
- 1 Barossa Fine Foods Smoked Ham Hock
- 4.5 litres cold water
- 10 sprigs Thyme
- 4 Bay leaves
- 1 Brown onion, chopped
- 8 whole cloves Garlic
- 1 tbls Olive oil
- 1 Brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 Leek, sliced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 600gm Potatoes, peeled & chopped
- 2 litres of Stock
- 5 cups Frozen baby peas
- Sea salt & pepper
- Place all ingredients in a large pot & bring to the boil, reduce heat & simmer partially covered for 1 ½ hours. Remove Hock from stock & strain. Allow the Hock to cool a little then remove skin & shred meat, set aside.
- To prepare soup, heat the olive oil in a large pot, sauté onion, garlic & leek, add potato & 2lts of the stock.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat slightly & cook until the potatoes are tender. Add the frozen peas, cook for a few minutes.
- Using a stab mixer, blend soup. Add the shredded Ham hock back to the pot, stir through, season & serve in bowls with sour cream & fresh herbs. Serve with crusty bread