Rump Steak With Roschti & Caramelised Onion And Tomato Jam
Cuisine: Australian Serves: 2
Preparation: 1 Hr Cooking: 30 Mins
- 500 gm Barossa Fine Foods Rump Steak
- 3 Tomatoes
- 2 Brown Onions, sliced
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- ¼ Cup Brown Sugar
- 3 tbls Malt Vinegar
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 1 + ½ tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Dried Chilli Flakes (optional)
- Black Pepper
- 2 Large Potatoes
- ¼ Brown onion, sliced
- 1 tbls Vegetable oil
- Sea Salt
Tomato & Onion Jam
- To prepare the tomato & onion jam, blanch the tomatoes in boiling water for one minute, refresh in cold water, remove the skins & roughly chop into pieces approximately 2cm in size.
- In a heavy based saucepan cook the onions over a medium heat in the olive oil until golden brown, add the brown sugar, reduce heat and allow the sugar to caramelise. Add the tomatoes, malt vinegar, paprika & dried chilli flakes, simmer over a low heat until the sauce is thick & jammy, season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Sauce will keep in a sterilised jar in the fridge for two weeks, serve hot or cold.
- Preheat the oven to 200℃. Grate the potatoes with a coarse grater, heat a heavy based skillet over high heat, add a thin layer of potato and allow to cook for a couple of minutes. Add the sliced onion & sprinkle with sea salt, add the remaining potato and cook for a further minute or until the potato has browned. Flip the Roschti over (invert onto a plate & slide back into the pan) Cook in the oven for 10 minutes until golden & crispy.
- Season the Rump steak with sea salt & pepper, lightly drizzle with olive oil and cook on the BBQ or in a griddle pan, turning only once the first side is brown & caramelised. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with the hot tomato & onion jam and slices of Roschti