Beef & Guinness Pie
Published 1st January, 2019
Cuisine: English / Australian Serves: 4
Preparation: 35 Mins Cooking: 1 Hr 30 Mins
- 1 kg Barossa Fine Foods Diced Beef
- 1 tbls Olive Oil
- 1 Large Brown Onion, chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbls Butter
- 3 Sprigs Thyme
- 1 Bay Leaf
- ¼ Cup Plain Flour
- 1 cup Beef Stock
- 1 (440 ml can) Guinness
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper
- 1 Egg, Beaten
- 1 Sheet Puff Pastry
- Heat a large heavy based pan over a medium heat, add the olive oil & cook the diced beef in small batches until browned, remove beef from pan and set aside in a bowl.
- Add the butter, onions, garlic, thyme and bay leaf to the pan and cook until golden brown.
- Add the flour & cook for 2 minutes, stir in the beef stock.
- Return the beef to the pan along with the juices, pour in the beer.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat to a very low simmer, simmer for one hour or until the meat is tender.
- Spoon the beef mixture into an ovenproof pie dish, cut out a circle of puff pastry & press firmly on to the dish to seal, make a small hole in the top of the pie and brush with the beaten egg.
- Place into a preheated oven at 200℃ and bake for 25 minutes or until the pastry is puffed & golden.